You can always consider to a small restoration project if your car battery is old and its overall voltage output is low. If you will plan to revive your old worn out car battery, then it would save you a lot of time and money and at the same time you will not have to face hardships in the future. Now you can have a look below to learn how to restore your car battery and why is it so important.
When should you restore your Car Battery?
Car batteries are generally lead acid batteries. This means that they contain lead- acid cores and can go through the condition of sulfation with the passage of time. This process occurs when the sulphur is accumulated on the lead plates. You can always restore and old car battery is there is no over abundance of sulphur corrosion. This is always a good idea than replacing it with some costly battery. If you want to check that you should replace your car battery or not, then you must consider the following details:
- If you are unable to start your car due to its battery, then it is the correct time to restore it.
- Keep this thing in mind that you cannot restore a car battery if it has some major defects like its connectors are burnt or has warped battery sides. If this is the case, then you must replace the entire car battery.
- The average lifespan of a car battery is four years. If you find that your car battery is more than four years and you face a lot of trouble while starting your car irrespective of frequent charging, then you must restore it.
- If you have checked the voltage of the battery multiple times with the help of a voltmeter and its charge is less than 12 volts, then it means that it has gone through sulfation and should definitely be restored.
After reading these factors mentioned above, now it is time to gather all the necessary materials and restore your car battery.
Restoring Your Battery
The things which you would require to perform the battery restoration project are as follows:-
- Baking soda
- Distilled water
- Magnesium sulphate
- A drill
- Non metallic storage funnel
- Plastic replacement plugs
- Three phase battery charger
- Safety glasses
- Working gloves
Before starting the process, the first thing which you have to do is to turn your car off and allow your car battery to cool down for around one hour. Now once your car battery has been cooled properly, it is the time to open the car hood and use your wrench. Then detach the negative battery cable and later the positive cable. Just be very careful while using the wrench and do not touch any other metal part of the car. Now you can remove the battery from the car.
Then you will have to find the location of the sealed cells. Put your safety glasses and then use the power drill to drill into the sealed cells. Now you will have to turn the battery upside down so that you can easily drain the fluid inside. Some amount of baking soda would be added to the battery fluid so that it gets neutralized. Then slowly and gradually the fluid would start bubbling, and then you must close the container tightly and carefully take it to some waste disposal site. Now you should insert your non metallic funnel into the open battery cells and then pour the solution into the battery. It is important to distribute the solution inside the battery, so for that you must shake the battery and then let the solution sit.
Now just make sure that your battery charger is off before you start clipping the positive lead onto the positive battery terminal and the negative onto the negative terminal. Then you can reinsert the battery into the car hood. You have now restored your car battery successfully.
If you are willing to change your car parts all by yourself and want to buy new ones, then all you have to do is to visit our online auto parts store – https://partsavatar.ca/. We care for our customers and that’s why we offer the best quality of products at affordable prices.